"HENSTEAD, a parish in the hundreds of Blything and Wangford, county Suffolk, 6½ miles S.E. of Beccles, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Wangford. It is a small village containing the hamlet of Hulver Street. There are several clay-pits in the parish. The road from London to Yarmouth passes through the eastern portion of it. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £411. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £423. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a thatched roof, and a square embattled tower containing one bell. The church has a Norman doorway. There is a parochial school for both sexes, erected in 1844 by the rector. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship at Hulver Street. The Rev. Thomas Sheriffe, M.A., is lord of the manor."
"HULVER STREET, a hamlet in the parish of Henstead, hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Beccles. The hamlet, which is small, contains a chapel for Wesleyans."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Henstead:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Henstead area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- The transcription of the section for Henstead from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Henstead has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.