"HEPWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Blackburn, county Suffolk, 10 miles N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Ixworth. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Bury St. Edmund's to Norwich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £498, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and has a square embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The charities produce about £66 per annum, including 45 acres which were allotted for fuel to the poor at the enclosure of the parish."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Church Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Hepworth:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hepworth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Hepworth has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.