"HERRINGFLEET, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 6 miles W. of Lowestoft, its post town, 7 S.W. of Yarmouth, and 1 mile N. of Somerleyton railway station. The village is small, and situated near the navigable river Waveney, over which is a bridge called St. Olave's. The houses have an irregular appearance. There are traces of a priory of Black Canons, founded in the reign of Henry III. by Roger Fitz Osbert. It continued till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £49 11s. 7d., and the site granted to Henry Jernyngham. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure, with a round tower containing two bells. The interior of the church contains some stained windows. The register dates from 1706. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum. Here is an endowed National school for both sexes. Herringfleet Hall is situated in a wooded park, and commands extensive views of the surrounding country. Henry Mussenden Leathes, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"ST. OLAVE, a priory on the river Waveney, in the parish of Herringfleet, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Yarmouth. It is now a ruin."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)