"HESSETT, (or Hedgesset), a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 5½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, 8 N. W. of Stowmarket, and 2½ S.E. of Thurston railway station. It was given by Earl Ulfketel to Bury Abbey, and subsequently belonged to the family of Bacon, ancestors of the celebrated Lord Bacon. The land is chiefly arable, and the surface level. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £344 12s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £255. The church, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, has a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains some stained windows, and a small chapel in the N. aisle containing a monument to Colonel Aldrich; it also contains tombs of the Bacons, who built the church. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)