"HIGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 4 miles E. of Nayland, 8 N.N.E. of Colchester, and 22 from Cambridge by the Cambridge and Bury branch of the Great Eastern Railway, on which it is a station. It is situated at the junction of the rivers Bret and Stour; over the former is a bridge built in 1837. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £206. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Norwich, value £238, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated near the junction of the two rivers. There is a parochial school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)