"HINTLESHAM, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 4 miles E. of Hadleigh, and 5½ W. of Ipswich. It is situated on a tributary of the river Orwell. The surface is level, and the soil a mixed loam. Here is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £582. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £477. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a brass of the 14th century, and tombs of the Timperleys, who formerly resided at the Hall, subsequently the seat of the Lloyds and Anstruthers. The parochial charities produce £20 per annum, including a small school endowment."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Hintlesham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hintlesham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Hintlesham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.