"HOLBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 6 miles S. of Ipswich its post town, and 3 from the Bentley station on the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is small, is situated near Holbrook Bay, on the river Stour, which at flood-tide is 2 miles in breadth at this place. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil is a sandy loam. The surface rises gradually from the bank of the river to an elevation of 100 feet, forming an elevated plain. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £488. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £424. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower. In the interior are monuments of the Clenches, who held the manor, and a brass bearing date 1470. The register dates from Queen Elizabeth's reign. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Here is a National school for both sexes, and a boarding-school in the village. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. John Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)