"HOLTON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 1 mile E. of Halesworth, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Blyth, and on the road from Halesworth to Beccles. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is fertile, producing good corn crops. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £310, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a Norman tower. There is a free school, also places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Baptists."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Beccles Road, Church of England
- Churches in Holton:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Holton St Peter area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Holton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.