"HOLTON ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 4½ miles S.E. of Hadleigh, 9 S.W. of Ipswich, and 5 N.W. of Manningtree railway station. It is a small agricultural parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge, of £310. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £257. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower. The register dates from 1568. The parochial charities produce about £54 per annum, £30 of which go to White's school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)