"HOMERSFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 3½ miles N.E. of Harleston, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Bungay. The Great Eastern railway has a station here. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the S. bank of the river Waveney. The soil consists of loam and clay. In the reign of Henry III. the Bishop of Norwich, who had an episcopal residence here, obtained the grant of a market and fair. The former has long been discontinued. The living is a rectory annexed to that of South Elmham, in the diocese of Norwich, value £360. The church, dedicated loo St. Mary, is a small edifice with an ivy-covered tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1558. There is an annuity of £2 10s. derived from the poor's land. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)