"HONINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N. W. of Ixworth, its post town, and 8 from Bury. The village is of small extent, and is situated on a branch of the river Waveney. It was the birth-place of Robert Bloomfield, the poet. The tithes, a portion of which is paid to the Rector of Great Fakenham, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £336. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £332, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is of brick, with a thatched roof and a tower of stone. An allotment of 25 acres of land was awarded to the poor in lieu of the right of cutting furze, which now produces about £40 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Honington:
- All Saints, Church Road, Church of England
- Chapel, Mill Road, Primitive Methodist
- Chapel, Ixworth Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- Service Church, Heath Road-Honington Airfield, Unknown
- St Edmund's Station Church, Green Lane-RAF Honington, Unknown
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Honington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Honington has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.