"HONINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N. W. of Ixworth, its post town, and 8 from Bury. The village is of small extent, and is situated on a branch of the river Waveney. It was the birth-place of Robert Bloomfield, the poet. The tithes, a portion of which is paid to the Rector of Great Fakenham, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £336. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £332, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is of brick, with a thatched roof and a tower of stone. An allotment of 25 acres of land was awarded to the poor in lieu of the right of cutting furze, which now produces about £40 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Honington:
- All Saints, Church Road, Church of England
- Chapel, Mill Road, Primitive Methodist
- Service Church, Heath Road-Honington Airfield, Unknown
- St Edmund's Station Church, Green Lane-RAF Honington, Unknown
- Chapel, Ixworth Road, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Honington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Honington has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview