"HOPTON All Saints, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 8 miles S.E. of Thetford, 7 N.E. of Ixworth, and 6 S. of East Harling, its post town. The parish is bounded on the N.E. by the Lesser Ouse, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. There is a portion of fen land. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Bury to Norwich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £284, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square embattled tower, and was thoroughly repaired and repewed in 1830. The charities produce about £25, arising from the rents of the town lands. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Thomas Thornhill, Esq. is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)