"HOXNE, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Harleston, 35 N.E. of Eye, and 5 E. of the Dip railway station. It is an extensive parish, situated on the S. side of the river Waveney, and contains the hamlets of Hilton and Thorpe Hall. It was here that King Edmund was shot to death with arrows by the Danes after his defeat at Thetford. His remains were buried in a wooden chapel, which was converted into a Benedictine cell to Norwich Abbey, after the removal of his body to Bury. This monastery continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenues were returned at £18 10s., and the site and demesne were afterwards granted to Sir R. Gresham. The oak tree to which the king is supposed to have been fastened fell in 1848, when an iron arrowhead was found embedded in its wood. Hoxne is a petty sessions town, and head of a Poorlaw Union, comprising 24 parishes and townships. The living is a vicarage* with that of Denham annexed, value £450. The church has a large square tower crowned with pinnacles, and is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The interior contains an organ presented by Sir Edward Kerrison, Bart., in 1836. There are also several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £141, of which £54 goes to Lord Maynard's free school. Adjoining the churchyard are five almshouses, erected by Sir E. Kerrison, Bart., for the same number of poor parishioners, with an allowance of 7s. per week. Oakley Park, the seat of Sir Edward Kerrison, Bart., who is lord of the manor, is situated in a valley watered by the river Dove. The eastern front is adorned with pillars, and has a gallery 80 feet in length. In the park, which is of considerable extent, is a cross erected at the end of the walk, called St. Mary's Cross."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter and St Paul, Green Street, Church of England
- Churches in Hoxne:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hoxne area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Hoxne has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.