SAMFORD, a district and a hundred in the S of Suffolk. The district comprehends the sub-district of Capel, St. Mary, containing the parishes of Capel, St. Mary, Holton, St. Mary, Raydon, Shelley, Higham, Stratford, St. Mary, East Bergholt, Great Wenham, Little Wenham, Copdock, Washbrook, Chattisham, Hintlesham, Burstall, and Sproughton; and the sub-district of Holbrook, containing the parishes of Holbrook, Stutton, Brantham, Harkstead, Erwarton, Shotley, Chelmondiston, Woolverstone, Freston, Tattingstone, Bentley, Belstead, and Wherstead. Acres, 50, 230. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 901. Pop., in 1851, 12, 493; in 1861, 12, 736. Houses, 2, 749. Marriages in 1863, 68; births, 399, of which 17 were illegitimate; deaths, 300, of which 104 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 858; births, 4, 113; deaths, 2, 469. The places of worship, in 1851, were 29 of the Church of England, with 6, 450 sittings; 8 of Independents, with 1, 362 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 330 s.; 7 of Wesleyans, with 950 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 244 s. The schools were 21 public day-schools, with 1, 176 scholars; 29 private day-schools, with 490 s.; 25 Sunday schools, with 1, 224 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 6 s. The work-house is in Tattingstone. The hundred is very nearly identical with the district.
(From John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72).)
Kevan Wilding's Samford Hundred site lists Parishes, Acreage, Rents, and population in 1801 & 1841.
In 1836, White's Description of the Poor Law Unions and Registration Districts shows this Hundred to be served by the Registration District of Samford
SAMFORD RD in 1836 - comprises the 28 parishes in Samford Hundred. It is divided into two sub-districts, Capel and Holbrook.
See also Brett Langston's Suffolk Registration Districts.
Historical information about boundaries and administrative areas for Blything Hundred is available from A Vision of Britain
The Workhouse site has an interesting description of Samford Workhouse