"ICKWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town and railway station. The manor was given by Bishop Theodred to Bury Abbey. There is no village, the whole of the parish being comprised within the park. The surface is varied, and the lower grounds are watered by a rivulet which expands into a broad lake. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely. The church is a small edifice, with a tower recently rebuilt. It stands in Ickworth Park, the seat of the Marquis of Bristol. This park is 11 miles round, and is stocked with upwards of 700 head of deer, and has gardens occupying nearly 6 acres. The mansion, which was begun in 1795 by the late marquis, who was Bishop of Derry, is a brick building upwards of 600 feet in length. It is in the Italian style of architecture, and consists of a circular centre connected with wings by extensive corridors. It contains some basso-relievos from Homer, after Flaxman."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)