"ILKETSHALL ST. JOHN, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S.E. of Bungay, its post town. The village is small, containing only a few scattered houses. The surface is flat, and the soil a stiff clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £217. The living isa rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £311, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a small ancient edifice with a square embattled tower. In the interior are several stained-glass windows. The register dates from 1538. R. D. French, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at the Hall, a brick mansion."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)