"ILKETSHALL ST. MARGARET, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bungay, its post town. The soil is clayey, and the land chiefly arable. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £536 8s., and the vicarial for £120. The living is a vicarage'' in the diocese of Norwich, value £131. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small ancient structure, with an old circular Norman tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1558. The charities, consisting of the town estate, produce £38 per annum, of which £33 is applied for the repairs of the church, and £5 for the benefit of the poor. Sir Shafto Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)