"IXWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 4 miles N. of Thurston, and 6½ from Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It is situated on the river Thet, near the Eastern Union railway and the old Roman road, Icknield Street. The village, which is considerable, is of ancient origin, and was formerly a market town. An Austin canonry was founded here in 1100 by Gilbert le Blund, some traces of which are still visible. At the Dissolution it was given by Henry VIII. to the Codingtons in exchange for Nonsuch. Many ancient Roman remains have been discovered in the village. The inhabitants are employed in agriculture and in the chalk-pits. Petty sessions are held monthly; and courts leet and baron are held occasionally for the manor. The market, now disused, was held on Friday. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £101. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty square embattled tower. In the interior is an ancient tomb under an arch, with sculptured brasses and inscription to the memory of Richard and Elizabeth Codyngton, bearing date 1567. The charities produce about £65 per annum. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The National school is supported by subscription, and the Sunday-school by a bequest of W. Varey, Esq. Mrs. Cartwright is lady of the manor, who resides at Ixworth Abbey, a mansion built on the site of the ancient priory."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)