"KEDINGTON, (or Ketton), a parish in the hundreds of Risbridge and Hinckford, counties Suffolk and Essex, 5 miles N.W. of Clare, and 2½ N.E. of Haverhill, its post town. It is situated in the valley of the river Stour. The manor is mentioned in Domesday Book as Keditune; and at that period was held by the Baynards, and afterwards by the earls of Clare and the Barnardistones. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The surface is undulating and in some parts hilly. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £498. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and contains many ancient tombs of the Barnardistones, of Kedington Hall, which is now taken down. The living was once held by Archbishop Tillotson. The charities produce about £39 per annum, of which £7 goes towards the support of a school. The tithes were commuted in 1840.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)