"KEDINGTON, (or Ketton), a parish in the hundreds of Risbridge and Hinckford, counties Suffolk and Essex, 5 miles N.W. of Clare, and 2½ N.E. of Haverhill, its post town. It is situated in the valley of the river Stour. The manor is mentioned in Domesday Book as Keditune; and at that period was held by the Baynards, and afterwards by the earls of Clare and the Barnardistones. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The surface is undulating and in some parts hilly. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £498. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and contains many ancient tombs of the Barnardistones, of Kedington Hall, which is now taken down. The living was once held by Archbishop Tillotson. The charities produce about £39 per annum, of which £7 goes towards the support of a school. The tithes were commuted in 1840.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter and St Paul, Mill Road, Church of England
- Churches in Kedington:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kedington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Kedington has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.