"KEDINGTON, (or Ketton), a parish in the hundreds of Risbridge and Hinckford, counties Suffolk and Essex, 5 miles N.W. of Clare, and 2½ N.E. of Haverhill, its post town. It is situated in the valley of the river Stour. The manor is mentioned in Domesday Book as Keditune; and at that period was held by the Baynards, and afterwards by the earls of Clare and the Barnardistones. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The surface is undulating and in some parts hilly. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £498. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and contains many ancient tombs of the Barnardistones, of Kedington Hall, which is now taken down. The living was once held by Archbishop Tillotson. The charities produce about £39 per annum, of which £7 goes towards the support of a school. The tithes were commuted in 1840.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter and St Paul, Mill Road, Church of England
- Churches in Kedington:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kedington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Kedington has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview