"KELSALE, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 1½ mile N. of Saxmundham, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the declivity of a hill, and contains many well-built houses surrounded by gardens. The living is a rectory* united with that of Carlton, in the diocese of Norwich, value £700. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient flint building, with tower containing a clock and eight bells. In the interior is a very ancient font, and the escutcheons of the Norfolk and Trusson families. The register dates from 1669. The charities produce £353 per annum, of which £50 goes to a free grammar school. There is also a free school for girls, and a Sunday-school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)