"KENTON, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Debenham. Stonham is its post town. The village is small, and the inhabitants chiefly employed in agriculture. The surface is high tableland, and the soil clay alternated with sand and loam. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £147 4s. 8d., and the vicarial for £148. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £137. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a square embattled tower. It contains an ancient mural plate of the Garney family, with an inscription bearing date 1524. The charities produce £38 per annum, £25 of which is for the repair of the church, the remainder for the benefit of the poor of this parish and that of Debenham. Kenton Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)