"KERSEY, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Hadleigh, its post town and railway station, and 9 from Lavenham. Here are the remains of an Austin priory, which was founded at an early period, and at the Dissolution given by Edward VI. to- King's College, Cambridge. This was formerly a considerable manufacturing place, but the population is now wholly agricultural. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £420. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £135, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a lofty tower containing six bells. The charities produce about £8 per annum, besides an almshouse."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)