"KERSEY, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Hadleigh, its post town and railway station, and 9 from Lavenham. Here are the remains of an Austin priory, which was founded at an early period, and at the Dissolution given by Edward VI. to- King's College, Cambridge. This was formerly a considerable manufacturing place, but the population is now wholly agricultural. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £420. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £135, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a lofty tower containing six bells. The charities produce about £8 per annum, besides an almshouse."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Hill, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kersey area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Kersey to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.