"KETTLEBASTON, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.W. of Hadleigh, and 2 N.W. of Bildeston, its post town. It is situated near the river Brett, and was formerly held by the De la Poles by the service of carrying a sceptre at the coronation. The parish, which is small, is tolerably cultivated and principally arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £223. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with tower containing three bells. In the interior is an ancient brass, also a monument to Lady Jermey. The register dates from 1578. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school. Mrs. Beechcroft is lady of the manor. Kettlebaston Hall is an ancient building, and was formerly the seat of the Waldegraves, Lemans, &c."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)