Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"KIRKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 1 mile S. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 12 miles S. of Yarmouth. It is situated on the coast of the North Sea, near Kirkley Hamm, which leads into Lake Lothing. A short distance from the village is Pakefield lighthouse, which stands on a lofty eminence overlooking the German Ocean. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in fishing. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £137 10s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £142. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a lofty square tower. It is situated on lofty ground, and serves as a landmark to mariners. It was in ruins for many years prior to 1750, when the south aisle was rebuilt. In the interior are several old brasses. The parochial charities produce £15 per annum, which is distributed in coals to the poor. There is a village school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- London Road Baptist Church, London Road South-Kirkley Park Road, Baptist
- Chapel, Building on Richmond Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Particular Baptist
- Church, Pakefield Road-Morton Road, Congregational
- St John, London Road South-Belvedere Road [site], Church of England
- St Peter and St John (1976), St Peter's Road, Church of England
- Lorne Park Road Methodist Church, Lorne Park Road [site], Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Methodist
- South Lowestoft Methodist Church, College Road-London Road South, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Methodist
- Chapel, Mill Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Primitive Methodist
- Kirkley Run Mission-Free Independent Christian Church, 5 Birds Lane, Evangelical
- S. A. Hall, Carlton Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Salvation Army
- Church, Richmond Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Unknown
- Mission Church, Colville Road [now Clifton Road], Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Unknown
- Mission Hall [closed], Salisbury Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Unknown
- St Nicholas, Blackheath Road, Kirkley (South Lowestoft), Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Kirkley area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kirkley which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Kirkley has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM535915 (Lat/Lon: 52.462508, 1.730395), Kirkley which are provided by: