"LACKFORD, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Lark. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. In the neighbourhood are rabbit warrens. The soil is light and sandy, with subsoil clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £271. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a small thatched structure, with a tower containing one bell. The charities produce about £13 per annum. There are partly endowed day and Sunday schools."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Lackford: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Details of the administrative areas of which Lackford has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.