"LAXFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.E. of Framlingham, its post town, and 4 from Stradbroke. It is situated near the river Blythe, and is wholly agricultural. The village, which is considerable, was formerly a market town, held under the Wingfields, and partly by Eye Priory and Leiston Abbey. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £617 10s., and the vicarial for £220. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a lofty pinnacled tower containing a clock and six bells. The chancel was rebuilt by Lord Huntingfield in 1827. The interior of the church contains a ribbed roof; also several windows of great beauty, and an ancient font. The register dates from 1579. The charities produce about £100 per annum, including the rent of the town lands, which is applied to the repairs of the church and relief of the poor. There is a free school, founded in 1718 by John Smith, which has an income from endowment of £200 per annum; also National and Sunday schools. There is a house called the Guildhall, for the poor. The Baptists have a chapel. John Crabtree is lord of the manor. Two fairs are held annually for cattle and sheep on the 12th May and 25th October."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)