"LAYHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 1½ mile S.E. of Hadleigh, its railway station and post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Bret. The parish consists of two manors, named Overbury and Netherbury Halls. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £800. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £800, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. J. Robinson, Esq., of Hadleigh Hall, is lord of both manors."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)