"LETHERINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 2½ miles N.W. of Wickham Market, its post town, and 31 S. of Framlingham. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Deben. It had formerly a Black priory cell to St. Peter's, Ipswich, founded by Sir J. Bovile. The site was given to the Nauntons, one of whom, Sir Robert, author of the "Fragmenta Regalia," built a large house near the old priory, part of which has been pulled down, and the remainder converted into a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Hoo, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, and formerly belonged to the priory. It has a tower and nave, but the chancel is in ruins. It contains tombs of the Boviles, Nauntons, and Wingfields, and a brass in tabard bearing date 1399. There is a National school. The Duke of Hamilton is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)