"LEVINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.E. of Ipswich, its railway station and post town, and 7 S. of Woodbridge. It is a small agricultural parish situated on the N. bank of the navigable river Orwell. It contains the small hamlet of Stratton Hall, and was the place where shell-sand was first used in 1718. The living is a rectory united to that of Nacton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There was formerly a chapel-of-ease at Stratton, and a lazar-house. The charities produce about £15 per annum, chiefly the endowment of Hitcham's almshouses, founded in 1636. George Tomline, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
" LEVINGTON, (Suffolk) on the Stour, S. E. of Ipswich, where Sir Rob. Hitcham, by his will, ordered an almsh. to be built for 6 of the poorest people of this village and of Nacton, and endowed it with maintenance of a 2 s. a week for each, and 40 s. a year for a gown and firing. "
You can see the administrative areas in which Levington has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.