"LINDSEY, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N.W. of Hadleigh, its railway station and post town, and 6½ E. of Lavinham. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated near Lindsey Tye. It was the first seat of the "Lindsey Wolsey" manufacture, but which has now entirely disappeared. Here are extensive brick and tile kilns. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £320. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £110, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The charities produce about 15s. per annum. The Baptists have a place of worship. Ravens Hall is the principal residence. The Rev. R. Daniel, of Coombs, is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)