"LINDSEY, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N.W. of Hadleigh, its railway station and post town, and 6½ E. of Lavinham. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated near Lindsey Tye. It was the first seat of the "Lindsey Wolsey" manufacture, but which has now entirely disappeared. Here are extensive brick and tile kilns. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £320. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £110, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The charities produce about 15s. per annum. The Baptists have a place of worship. Ravens Hall is the principal residence. The Rev. R. Daniel, of Coombs, is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Lindsey:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lindsey area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Lindsey has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.