"LIVERMERE MAGNA, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and railway station on the Great Eastern line. It is a small agricultural place. The surface is generally level and the soil fertile though light. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value with that of Little Livermere annexed, £443. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small edifice with a thatched roof. The charities, amounting to nearly £40 per annum, are derived from land, and applied to the relief of widows. Livermere Hall, is the principal residence. Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)