"MARTLESHAM, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 1½ mile S.W. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Ipswich. The village, which is small, is situated on the navigable river Deben, and is wholly agricultural. It is held in part by Brook of Ufford. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £420. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £370. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower. Frederic Goodwin Doughty, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)