"METFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.E. of Harleston, its railway station and post town, and 7 N.W. of Halesworth. The village, which is considerable, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of various quality. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a donative car.* in the diocese of Norwich, value £69, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church has a carved font of great antiquity. There is a place of worship for Independents. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, exclusive of lands worth £80 per annum left for repairing the church, and for parochial uses. There are Sunday and day schools, principally supported by the parishioners. Captain C. Rayley, R.N., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)