"METTINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 2 miles E. of Bungay, its post town, and 4 W. of Beccles. It is an irregularly built village situated on the road from Bungay to Beccles, and near the S. bank of the river Waveney, and is wholly agricultural. There are ruins of Mettingham Castle, consisting chiefly of the gate and walls erected by John de Norwich about 1340, who founded a chantry in it, which subsequently was converted into a college for a master and 13 chaplains. At the Dissolution the revenue amounted to £202 7s. 5d., when the site was given to the Uffords. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £140. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a round tower. The charities produce about £100 per annum, for church, poor, &c. The Rev. J. C. Safford is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)