"MONKS-ELEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.W. of Hadleigh, 2 S.W. of Bildeston, and 8 N.E. of Sudbury. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Brett, and is chiefly agricultural. The land is principally arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £422, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £7 10s. per annum. There is a National school. There are places of worship for the Independents and Wesleyans; also almshouses built and endowed by Edward Colman in 1731. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)