"MOULTON, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 2 S. of the Kennet station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Lark, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is sandy, and the subsoil gravel with chalk. An Enclosure Act was passed in 1839. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £587. The living is a rectory and vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £477, in the patronage of Christ College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure, with a lofty tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £111 per annum, chiefly the produce of the poor's land. There is a free school for both sexes, erected in 1849 at the expense of the rector, by whom it is entirely supported. Moulton Paddocks is the principal residence. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Moulton: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Details of the administrative areas of which Moulton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.