"NEWBOURN, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 5 miles S. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 from Ipswich. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Deben, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is sandy and gravelly, with a subsoil of sand and crag. Coprolites are found in large numbers among the marine deposits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient rubble structure, with an embattled flint tower containing one bell. The interior of the church has a font of great antiquity. The register dates from 1561. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. There is a Sunday-school held at the church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Ipswich Road, Church of England
- Churches in Newbourn:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Newbourn area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Newbourn has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.