"NEWTON-NEAR-SUDBURY, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 3 miles E. of Sudbury. The village is chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and the lower grounds are watered by a small stream. The soil is chiefly a rich loam on a substratum of gravel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, in the patronage of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to All Saints. There is a National school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)