"NOWTON, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its railway station and post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. There is a meet for Mr. Buck's harriers. The parish includes the hamlet of Horsecroft. The boundary between this parish and Hawstead passes through the N. and S. doors of Nowton church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £314. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small edifice, with a tower containing six bells. It was enlarged and restored in 1843. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a small school, supported by Mr. Oakes. H. J. Oakes, Esq., is lord of the manor. Nowton Court is the principal residence."
"HORSECROFT, a hamlet in the parishes of Horningsheath and Nowton, county Suffolk, 2 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)