"OCCOLD, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S. by E. of Eye, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of the Mellis railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Benningham Green, and is within the parliamentary borough of Eye. The soil is extremely fertile. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £405, and the glebe comprises 43 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £362. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a square embattled tower containing a clock. The interior of the church contains a brass to W. Corbald. It underwent extensive alterations in 1854. The register dates from 1681. The parochial charities produce about £120 per annum, of which £62 is realised by the town estates. There is a National school. The Baptists have a place of worship. The Rev. Charles Chapman is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)