"OLD NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Stowmarket, its post town, and 1 mile E. of the Haughley Junction railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the small river Gipping, which has been made navigable from Stowmarket to Ipswich. At Dagworth, Margaret Pole, the unfortunate Countess of Salisbury, who was beheaded by Henry VIII., resided. The soil is rich, and hops are grown. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, The register dates from 1587. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a parochial school adjoining the vicarage-house. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. G. Tomlin, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"DAGWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Old Newton, in the hundred of Stow, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles N. of Stowmarket."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)