"OTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 8 miles N. of Ipswich, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Woodbridge. The village, which is considerable, is wholly agricultural. In the neighbourhood is all ancient entrenchment. The Hall, built in the reign of Elizabeth, and once the seat of the Gosnold family, is now a farmhouse. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £650, subject to the payment of rates, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £670. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower containing five bells. The, church has an E. window, presented by Paul Storr, Esq. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum, which is distributed to the poor in bread. There is a school for both sexes, with residence for master, both of which were erected at the expense of the Rev. Francis Storr. The Baptists have a place of worship. The Earl of Abergavenny and Gurdon Rebow, Esq., are lords of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Otley:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Otley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Otley has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.