"OTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 8 miles N. of Ipswich, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Woodbridge. The village, which is considerable, is wholly agricultural. In the neighbourhood is all ancient entrenchment. The Hall, built in the reign of Elizabeth, and once the seat of the Gosnold family, is now a farmhouse. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £650, subject to the payment of rates, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £670. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower containing five bells. The, church has an E. window, presented by Paul Storr, Esq. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum, which is distributed to the poor in bread. There is a school for both sexes, with residence for master, both of which were erected at the expense of the Rev. Francis Storr. The Baptists have a place of worship. The Earl of Abergavenny and Gurdon Rebow, Esq., are lords of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)