"OULTON, (or Oldton), a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 1 rile from the Mutford Bridge railway station. The village, which is large and of irregular form, is chiefly agricultural. It is bounded on the S.W. by that part of Lake Lothing called Oulton Broad, and by the river Waveney. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £378. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient Norman structure, with a square tower containing five bells. The interior contains brasses of a priest, bearing date 1310, and of a Fastolf of Oulton High House. The edifice was once cruciform, but both transepts have been taken down, and other parts are in a dilapidated condition. The register dates from 1659. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There are a parochial school, and a school for adults. The Mutford union poorhouse is in this parish.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)