"OUSDEN, (or Owsden), a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 10 S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature on a subsoil of clay and chalk. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £26 108. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £285. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small Norman structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1675. The parochial charities produce £6 per annum, besides Moseley's charity of £10 bequeathed for the education of 20 children of this parish. There is a parochial school. Ousden Hall is the principal residence. T. J. Ireland, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Front Street, Church of England
- Churches in Ousden:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ousden area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Ousden has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview