"OUSDEN, (or Owsden), a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 10 S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature on a subsoil of clay and chalk. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £26 108. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £285. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small Norman structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1675. The parochial charities produce £6 per annum, besides Moseley's charity of £10 bequeathed for the education of 20 children of this parish. There is a parochial school. Ousden Hall is the principal residence. T. J. Ireland, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Front Street, Church of England
- Churches in Ousden:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ousden area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Ousden has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.