"OUSDEN, (or Owsden), a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.E. of Newmarket, its post town, and 10 S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature on a subsoil of clay and chalk. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £26 108. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £285. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small Norman structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1675. The parochial charities produce £6 per annum, besides Moseley's charity of £10 bequeathed for the education of 20 children of this parish. There is a parochial school. Ousden Hall is the principal residence. T. J. Ireland, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)