"PAKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.E, of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of Thurston railway station. The village, which is large, is chiefly agricultural. At Redcastle farm a Roman pavement was discovered. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £281. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £78 per annum. There is a National school, also an infant school. New House is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)