"PALGRAVE, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 1 mile S. of Diss, its railway station and post town, and 4 miles N.W. of Eye. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Botesdale to Diss, near the river Waveney, and is wholly agricultural. There was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and belonging to Bury Abbey. The S. part of the parish is traversed by the road from London to Norwich by way of Bury. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440, and the glebe comprises 4 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £440. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tombs of Thomas Martin, the antiquary, and of the Harrison family. The register dates from 1560. The parochial charities produce about £62 per annum, realised from the town estates. There is a free school, also an infant school. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)