"PEASENHALL, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.E. of Framlingham, and 24 W. by N. of Yoxford, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Badenham, and is chiefly agricultural. The extensive Suffolk drill manufactory of Smyth and Sons is in this parish. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £432 11s., the vicarial for £91 5s., and those of the incumbent for £120. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Sibton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities produce about £54 per annum, realised from church lands. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Congregational Chapel, Church Street, Independent
- St Michael, Church Street, Church of England
- Chapel [Peasenhall and Sibton Methodist Church], Chapel Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Nonconformist Chapel, The Street, Brethren
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Peasenhall area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Peasenhall to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 875 1881 ---- 1891 ----