"PETTAUGH, a parish in the hundred of Thredling, county Suffolk, 3 miles from Stonham, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Needham Market. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Deben, and is wholly agricultural. The surface is undulating and the soil clayey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £190, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £123. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing a clock and three bells. The interior of the church has a brass of J. Fastolfe, bearing date 1549. Lord Henniker, John Tollemache, and 0. Baker, Esqs., are lords of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)