"POSLINGFORD, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Clare, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Stour, and is wholly agricultural. In the neighbourhood are the ruins known as Chipley Abbey, now converted into a farm dwelling. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £100. The church was reseated in 1852, and has been lately restored. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. S. Wear, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Poslingford:
- St Mary, The Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Poslingford area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Poslingford has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.