"POSLINGFORD, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Clare, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Stour, and is wholly agricultural. In the neighbourhood are the ruins known as Chipley Abbey, now converted into a farm dwelling. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £100. The church was reseated in 1852, and has been lately restored. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. S. Wear, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Poslingford:
- St Mary, The Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Poslingford area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Poslingford has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview