"PRESTON, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Lavenham, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Sudbury. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Brett, and is wholly agricultural. There was formerly a mansion called Preston Place, the seat of Robert Ryece, a preserver of the antiquities of the county. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £402, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing six bells. The windows are emblazoned with the coats of arms borne by the principal families of this and the adjoining counties. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. The rectory-house was rebuilt in 1835. There is a National school, which was built in 1843. The parish is divided into four manors, of which Mr. W. Makin, Mr. John Wright, and Sir B. C. Brodie. Bart., are lords."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)